Today I am in need of from TLC – I feel a bit as if I’ve been through a wringer. On Tuesday I made a flying visit to London in the name of work, stayed overnight and then returned yesterday evening. I love visiting London but on this occasion there was “no time to stop and stare.” Tuesday night I had to work with colleagues through until midnight whilst we set up the venue for our training event and then yesterday an early start without even time for hotel breakfast, the delivery of the training course, packing up and the return home. The course went well and the delegates were lovely but the three of us were exhausted and were not best pleased when we were being hassled out of our venue as we reached the point of collapse. Dismantling and putting away 12 trestle tables is not fun at the best of times and certainly not when you have Mr Jobsworth breathing down your neck. I then had to summon up the energy to make my way across London to catch the train home to Sheffield finally landing back at 9.30pm. I didn’t even have the strength to buy a doughnut!!!
I am very pleased that my project for today was “one I made earlier” this week!
This is an altered wooden heart that I am sharing over at Sunday Stampers for this week’s challenge which is to include wood. Now Hels is the queen of transforming MDF shapes and frames and also of the paper blocking technique such as I have used here. I would LOVE to do this as a workshop with her (hint, hint!).
I used coordinating papers from my stash, mainly using scraps and cut offs, applied them to the heart and then added a good layer of Mod Podge gloss. This is a technique I learned from Hels and it is one of the best bits of advice ever. The Mod Podge not only seals the papers but also means that any mistakes that follow (and I made plenty!) can be wiped off. I used a Stabilo All pencil to add definition round the papers. I think I should have done this before I sealed it, but am glad I did it afterwards as I made several errors but was able to remove them!
I stamped the butterflies and used Festive Berries to colour the red ones. I used the same ink to colour some seam binding and applied this across the centre.
It’s been quite a while since I used the fabulous Darkroom Door string inspiration sentiment stamps so I won’t apologise for popping one on here!
The finishing touches are some pieces of lace topped with pearls and a few buttons.
Having failed previously with paper blocking I’m very happy how this turned out and I’m itching to make another of these but with a some festive papers (for there are only 5 pay days and 174 actual days until Christmas you know).
Thanks for buzzing by.