Valentine’s Day may have been and gone, but there’s always room for heart themed projects and, happily, the new challenge over at Sunday Stampers this week is hearts. Now any rational person who had a stash of MDF hearts AND had recently enjoyed altering a heart and crown would have probably thought about doing an altered heart. Not so this crafter, who likes to take the road less travelled. I decided to use up one of my old canvases ( a failed project from the Christmas before last) instead:
This was one of those projects that started off as one thing and ended up with another. I love how it eventually ended up but could have probably messed with it for a little longer had I had the time.
Because I was using an old canvas that was covered in papers and paint I overlaid book pages, music manuscript and tissue tape to create the background. I loved how it looked but then made fatal mistake. I added a very light wash of gesso. Now this in itself looked great but what I had forgotten was that when you come to add inks, which was my grand plan, the colours don’t quite come out as planned.
Instead I had to do a bit more with paint to get a look that I liked. I used white, turquoise and yellow acrylic paints and just smudged and rubbed them on and removed some with tissue. No brushes were involved! Once properly dry, I stamped on some dots and crackles, then used my favourite Dylusions border stamp around the edge.
The heart was cut from cardboard and painted red with a smidge of black and white. Once dry I used white ink and a script stamp over the top. Don’t look too closely at the detail or you will see it’s upside down! Of course because of my error the stamping was immaculate, I’m just hoping the text is so small that no one will spot my error! I went around the edge of the heart with a Stabilo All pencil to add depth and also the swirl.
Across the bottom I added some organza rose trim and some seam binding. The latter was coloured with Broken China and Brushed Corduroy distress stains. A bow wasn’t right on this piece, but it needed something else just to finish it off.
Of course I couldn’t resist using my favourite stamps of the moment, String Inspiration by Darkroom Door, to add the word love.
My only disappointment with this project is the fact that I had created a background I loved and now you can’t see it. I may have to try and recreate it.
Thanks for buzzing by.