If I tell you that this week’s theme over at Sunday Stampers is wings, you would probably guess that I would present you with a butterfly or a bee – both of which have featured a lot already this year. I couldn’t decide which way to jump so I did both:
These were both made in the same way and should have been relatively simple. But you know me, I can complicate anything and whilst making these I realise that, for me, projects that look fairly simple actually take more effort than those that are more complicated.
I started by cutting corrugated card into 100cm squares and then distressing them by pulling off parts of the paper covering. I then painted it with white acrylic paint, quickly wiping some off with a paper towel.
I stamped the images on to some brown kraft paper – the frame is one from Hero Arts – and heat embossed with white embossing powder. Normally I would brush away any surplus powder but, because I wanted a bit of distressed look, this time I left it in place.
The image was layered on to some music manuscript or newsprint and then some brown waxed paper. I distressed the edges with a distressing tool. I’ve had this in my stash for ages but kept forgetting it was there. I think it will be well used! I inked everything with more Vintage Photo.
I used stamps by Darkroom Door for the sentiments. For the butterfly plaque I used black Archival ink, stamped it on to single-ply tissue and then used PVA glue, mixed with a little water, to apply it to the cardboard and then added a coat over the top. This brilliant technique, taught to me by Mrs Sunday Stampers herself, Hels Sheridan, and is brilliant when you want to get a stamped image on to a textured surface.
The sentiment for the bee was simply stamped on to some cardstock using Vintage Photo.
I couldn’t decide whether to add a hanging loop to these or not, but in the end thought they needed to be mounted on to something more sturdy first.
I got so much pleasure from making these and I hope you like them. After the past two days, having the chance to do a bit of crafting again was hugely therapeutic and I’m hoping that I, unlike today’s project, have lost a bit of my distressed look!
Thanks for buzzing by.