In the UK we tend to overlook Mardi Gras and instead mark Shrove Tuesday, which is usually accompanied by pancakes. In fact I reckon “Pancake Day,” is how it is more commonly know these days. Mardi Gras, or “Fat Tuesday,” is all about fun and excess. Both days mark the last day before Lent. Although the amount of pancakes eaten in my household is usually excessive on Shrove Tuesday, Mardi Gras takes fun and excess to a whole new level. With that in mind, I decided that something completely over the top was required for this week’s challenge over at the Stampotique Designers Challenge blog. Challenge #230 has the theme of Mardi Gras and I decided to create a carnival mask:
Happily for me, the work and crafting planets collided this week. I shall be out in Hull (again!) this Tuesday and naturally our delegates will be cooking pancakes. As part of our links to the primary school curriculum we will have a display which includes a mask. It was just a plain old white thing until I got my hands on it! Impossible to photograph well, but what can you do?
I started by applying metallic acrylic paints in the carnival colours of gold, purple and green, then adding some gold glittery edges. Whilst that was drying I got in with the embellishments. I used Stampotique’s Carol’s Flower – both the large and small, used Promarkers and mica powders to colour them and then used gold glitter glue to embellish.
The flowers that run off the top of the mask were created in the same way, but before adding the glitter I stuck them on to some of Wendy Vecchi’s Clearly for Art. If you are not familiar with this wondrous medium it is a plastic modelling film that you can heat and then shape. If you get it wrong you can re-heat it back to normal! It’s brilliant. It comes in black white and clear varieties. I’ve used the clear for my flowers. Once the flowers were stuck on the plastic I left them to dry for a good while before cutting out and shaping. I used the film because I wanted the flowers to be able to be rigid enough to be able to float away from the mask itself. I used glue gel to attach them.
I also created some bees in a similar way. This time I stamped directly on to the clear modelling film and then stuck on the body of the bee which had been stamped onto paper and coloured in. When shaped, I tucked them into the flowers.
Finally, I added a little cluster of feathers and gems. I thought of adding ribbons but sometimes even I know where to draw the line!
I am also sharing this over at City Crafter Challenge Blog where the theme is “Fantastic Plastic.”
Thanks for buzzing by.