Craft packages ordered =0, craft packages received =0
Hopefully, by the time you read this, Mr Beez and I will be strolling round sunny (fingers crossed) Valencia. Today’s project is my Design Team piece for the current Anything But A Card challenge which is to “get messy.” I am a self-confessed messy crafter and quite frankly I could get messy doing embroidery! Here’s what I came up with:
If it was messy, I used it – texture paste, acrylic paint, distress inks, gilding waxes, glue gun – I certainly had mucky paws every step of the way! I used lots of the techniques I learned from my workshop with Hels Sheridan
The base of my new piece is a fab new find from PaperArtsy. It’s a chunky papier mache board, complete with hanger, perfect for altering and a snip at 72p or 84p for a larger one. I started off by giving it a coat of gesso before using a flowery stencil and some white texture paste to cover the base completely. I wish I’d taken a picture of this as it came out perfectly. I left it to dry overnight but as I had chosen a hot day to complete this part of the operation it was dry a lot quicker.
Once dry, I gave it all a coat of pale lilac acrylic paint and then added smidges of white and sage using a dry brush. However, I then spotted some paint called guava and decided that I wanted to use this instead so went over the whole lot with this and a touch of buttermilk.
Next, I used a pencil and ruler to mark out equal blocks all the way around the edge then filled these in with the paints and black Promarker.
To add the stamped honeycomb and script detail I first stamped on to a piece of tissue – a single sheet separated from a 3 ply, with black archival ink, tore out small pieces and then applied with Modpodge brushing it both under and over the tissue pieces. Hels uses Glue ‘n’ seal for this but I don’t have any of this … yet!! However, the Modpodge worked just as well and I used the same technique to apply a bee. The tissue is almost transparent once you’ve added the glue so you end up really only being able to see the stamping. It’s a great way to stamp onto an uneven surface.
I stamped out flowers, using my fave Sheena Douglass stamps, and coloured them with Mustard Seed and Ripe Persimmon distress inks.
I used the same colour inks to dye some seam binding to tie around the base of the string hanger, adding a touch of leaf ribbon trim and a little star brad.
I rubbed on some gilding waxes – bronze and gold – to highlight areas of the design.
The finishing touches were the word tiles and to add dimension to the bee by adding a second stamped image over the first.
Do buzz over to the Anything But A Card challenge blog, the DT have come up with some fabulous projects and there are also some superb entries. Hope you’re having a perfect day 🙂