Time for a new challenge over at Anything But A Card and we have an Anything Goes theme for this month. Buzz over and be inspired by what the DT have been up to and then be sure to come back and link up your project. Anything but a card is welcome, ATCs and tags are good to go! I have gone with a favourite non-card make of mine, an altered shrine.
Up until recently, it was difficult to get wooden shrines to alter here in the UK and I was slightly envious of their seemingly free availability across the pond. So I was uber excited when one of my favourite crafty suppliers, Calico Craft Parts, filled that gap in the market and got on-line to order. This is the result, definitely a labour of love but so enjoyable to do. There was quite a lot of drying time required, whilst building up the layers, and I am not renowned for my patience, I want to finish the job in one hit. So I did a bit each evening and allowed it to dry overnight and then did a little bit the following morning so it could dry during the day.
The shrine needs to be glued together, a very easy task, and I did this before I got going on the transformation. I kept the front and box separate until the very end so it would be easy to decorated the inside. I began with a layer of gesso to seal the MDF and then used sage green, turquoise and white paints to cover. Once dried, a gel medium to glue on bits of gauze here and there and painted on some glass beads texture gel. Once dry, I painted on some Picket Fence Crackle Paint, just in patches and making sure it was quite thick so there was a good crackle. Then more green, blue and white paints and yet more drying.
I squeezed out a little coral, gold and bronze acrylic paint and then rubbed them on to highlight different areas.
Next I created the back drop. The image is from the Gecko Galz Sea Nymphs collage sheet and I popped it on some chipboard before brushing it with beeswax. I didn’t want the image to look too pristine and to have texture. I didn’t make the layer of wax too thick and kept it quite even all over so that you can clearly see the image. I brushed on a touch of bronze an aqua mica powder before giving it a buff with a soft cloth. Of course I should have taken a photo’ of this before I applied it to the back of the box!
I added a touch more painted wispy painted gauze to the bottom of the box, attached the front panel and then added in miniature shells and a small glass vial of pearls. The shell on the front is actually a plastic button that I painted in exactly the same way as the box.
I can’t wait to use more of these fabulous shrines and am going to make sure I do just that rather than take my usual approach of hoarding them!
Thanks for buzzing by and don’t forget that it’s “anything goes” over at Anything But A Card, do come an join us – the water’s lovely 🙂