Today sees the start of a new challenge over at Anything But A Card and the theme is steampunk. All of the DT have come up with some fabulous samples which you can check out today and over the next couple of weeks. Don’t forget we also have a DT call out for new members – buzz over to the blog for all the details. You have until 13th September to apply and Susan would love to hear from you
Here’s my DT piece for this month’s challenge:
Have you seen this new bee die from Tim Holtz? I could barely contain my excitement when I saw it and even more excited that it comes with an embossing folder. I have been die-ing (see what I did?) to share this with you but wanted to wait until I blogged this, my first project that uses it.
The base is a piece of chipboard that I have covered with honeycomb embossed card and then painted with a mixture of metallic acrylic paints. Then I’ve added die cut gears and painted them to match. I’ve also smeared on touches of black acrylic paint for a grungy look.
I die cut the bee, also from chipboard, and then embossed it. Oddly (and I am sure there is a good reason for this) the die doesn’t have any antennae on the bee and yet the embossing folder does. Once embossed, I painted it in the same colours I used for the background.
Then it was just a question of gluing on some watch parts (a bulk purchase from Ebay). What can I tell you about watch parts? Do not kneel on them – it will hurt. Do not drop them and think you will pick them up later. You won’t and then you will kneel on them and it will hurt. When you drop them and pick them up immediately double check you have them all because if you don’t … about three weeks later you will stand on them and it will hurt!
Before I made this piece I had a play using some of Wendy Vecchi’s Clearly for Art. I was inspired by a fabulous bee she had made, using this die/embossing set.
I covered the Clearly for Art (I used the white) with some of Tim Holtz’ sticky foil and then die cut and embossed the bee.
Next, I added some colour, using a yellow Promarker which, over the top of the foil, has taken on a gold appearance. Then I glued on the watch parts and allowed it to dry overnight.
Now the magic of Clearly for Art is that you can heat in and then mould it to give shape and dimension. If you don’t like what you’ve done you simply re-heat it again. There’s none of the drama that you are inclined to get with shrink plastic. If you are heating something that is embossed, don’t over do it as this ability to return to its original shape will work against you and it will flatten out.
This is the first time I have used clearly for art and I love it. I also can’t wait to start some more projects using this fabulous bee – it will make a change from houses. Or maybe I can find a way to combine both!
Thanks for buzzing by.